A few weeks ago, I told you what I would do differently if I could plan our wedding all over again. This week, I’m here to tell you about our best wedding decisions!
1) Not having a bridal party. Seriously, this tops the list. No regrets here.
2) Not involving others. We paid for the wedding on our own. The majority of the wedding details stayed between me and Ken. When my family asked how it was going, I just gave them generic “it’s fine” answers. I even went wedding dress shopping by myself. While I do have a slight twinge of guilt about it sometimes, in the end, it made our wedding planning process much, much saner.
3) Maximizing cash back rewards and frequent flyer miles. Let’s face it, wedding are expensive. Even “budget” weddings are a few thousand dollars. I knew from the very beginning that I wanted rewards for spending that money. Although I still have to do the final tally, I ended up with more than 100,000 frequent flyer miles from British Airways (thanks to an awesome sign-up bonus), which is, in general, good for two free tickets to Europe. I also collected other cashback too. Rewards tally post to come soon!
4) Taking dance lessons and starting them early! Both Ken and I did not know how to dance. I mean, at all. Like, the only time I slow danced was at other weddings I was in. Not even awkward white people-type dancing. We just never did it. So, eight months before the wedding, we enrolled in ballroom dance lessons. This was a great, albeit pricey, decision. In fact, if you decide just one month away from your wedding that you want to take dance lessons, don’t do it. I feel like I would’ve been more frustrated and more overwhelmed trying to learn everything from scratch in such a short period of time.
5) Having a venue that doesn’t kick you out. We rented our wedding venue, which was a campground, for (get this) 3 nights! When we were early in the wedding planning process, we were so disappointed in the short amount of time that venues would allow. The price per hour was going to be enormous for one of the initial venues we found and liked. When we found the campground, and realized that we could rent it for three nights for the same price as other venues wanted for just 5 or six hours, we were sold. Our wedding venue rocked!