DIY Wedding Project: Escort Card Display

by Melissa on November 4, 2011

I initially didn’t want to have assigned seating at our wedding, but once we made the decision to have table assignments, I wanted to have a fun way of displaying our escort cards. I took the inspiration for this project from Martha Stewart. (On a side note, now that we have created our actual seating charts, it took about, oh, 30 minutes. That was not what I expected!)

I started with two blank pieces of 20×30 white foam core and arranged some autumnal fabric on it that I purchased from Joann’s (this is it from the back)

IMG_8636

 

First, I pinned the fabric in place to make sure it was straight and even. Initially I was going to use only pins, but they jutted out too much in various places of the foam core, and since I didn’t want any guests getting stabbed with pins, I took the plunge and bought a hot glue gun and some fabric glue sticks.  Here it is with the pins (which I put all around the perimeter).

IMG_8637

 

Using a checkered fabric presented its own issues. For one, it was kind of difficult to make sure that the fabric didn’t look crooked. So, it took some time, but I made sure everything was nice and straight and crease free.

IMG_8652

 

Then it was time to glue the fabric to the foam core. Without taking out the pins yet, I glued the fabric edges to the back of the foam core.

IMG_8638

 

When I turned the foam core over, it looked like this. I let the glue dry for a while, and then I took out the pins.

IMG_8643

 

Next, it was time to add the ribbon to the fabric on the foam core. The escort cards would then sit on the ribbon. Before gluing any ribbon, I just laid it out across the fabric to make sure everything would be nicely spaced and aligned. Here’s the first layer of “ribbon,” which is actually webbing:

IMG_8645

 

And then alternating ribbons of various browns and glittery orange on top of each webbing strip. I purchased both the ribbons and the webbing from Joann’s too.

IMG_8635

 

Next, I glued the webbing strips to the fabric and put something heavier on top of it to make sure it stayed (in this case, a messy bin of sewing supplies).

IMG_8644

 

Next, I glued the ENDS ONLY of the narrower ribbon to the webbing strips. Sorry, I don’t have a photo of this step. Then, I flipped the board over, and glued the ends of the now combined webbing/ribbon to the back of the foam core:

IMG_8647

In the end, I ended up with a escort card display board that looked like this!  I repeated the entire process one more time to make another escort card display.

escort-card-finished

 

In a future post, I’ll show you how I actually displayed the escort cards on the board (here’s a spoiler, after some trial and error, I opted for a slightly different look than the Martha Stewart escort cards in the inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Jessica@TWB November 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I never would’ve had the patience to use that checked print. Kudos.

Reply

Leave a Comment

{ 2 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: