Wowza, this has been a crazy week. Work has been stretching well into my evening hours, not leaving much time to schedule posts! But alas, here’s some random wedding-related thoughts for ya.
- We went shopping for wedding bands for my fiance two weeks ago. He really likes the tungsten-style rings and he saw two (one at two different stores) that he really liked. They were in the $250-$300 range, which seemed really reasonable, but we wanted to do some price comparisons, so we didn’t buy any right away. Well, he came home and did some research and found that tungsten is one of the cheapest metals around. There is no way that a tungsten ring should be that much money. The metal is so cheap, all you’re really paying for is someone to make it. A few quick searches, and he found a nearly identical tungsten wedding band on Amazon.com for $14.99. Seriously, $14.99. So, he ordered one to try the size, and holy shit! It’s a phenomenal looking and expensive feeling ring! He took it to work to show it to his coworkers and pulled the ever-classy “how much do you think this was?” People almost always said in the $300-$400 range. And, a neighbor of ours, who describes herself as a “Tiffany Jewelry Girl” said she thought the ring was around $500. They’re all floored when we tell them that it’s $14.99. Now, one of Ken’s coworkers said that he wouldn’t feel comfortable buying something so cheap to symbolize a marriage. But, that kind of reasoning reminds me of the early days of wedding planning when we decided to serve picnic-style food at our wedding, and some jerkface wrote in a wedding forum “I don’t think that hot dogs and hamburgers can communicate that you’re not taking your nuptials seriously.” And what, foodie food does represent that? And a $500 ring will represent it better than a $14.99 ring?
- I have my hair and makeup trial scheduled for Sunday. I’m excited, but I’m really at a loss for how to do my hair! I definitely want it down in some way, but I’m being very indecisive.
- Speaking of hair and makeup, some places charge more for hair or makeup (alone!) than I paid for my wedding dress! Luckily I found a non-wedding wire makeup artist online. I hope she works out. Her prices are so much more reasonable.
- I have determined that EBay sellers and Craigslist sellers dramatically inflate their prices for some things. For instance, clear glass bud-vases range anywhere from $1.35-$4.00 each on Ebay (when buying in a lot of vases). The most I spent on a bud vase this weekend during some thrift store runs was 75 cents!
- My family is having a shower for me at the end of August in Pittsburgh. I’m not really the type of person that does well like having to be “on” for such a long period of time. For instance, sitting in front of a big group of people while they all watch my reaction as I open gifts. And my family is troubling themselves so much with details about this wedding. Asking me how I want the cake decorated when we’re not even going to have a decorated wedding cake! Or asking me about what colored napkins I want when we’re just going to have plain white paper napkins at the wedding. The simpler, the better! Also, just out of curiosity, how many wedding showers have you been to that men have been invited?
- I ordered 30 tablecloths for the tables at the wedding. Much cheaper than renting them! I got a shipping notification for them the other day. 51 pounds of tablecloths headed my way! That is a lot of freakin tablecloths!
Whew. Okay, I guess that’s about it for now.